Lieutenant Colonel Joshua B. Hawkins is the Commander, 673d Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. In this capacity, he commands the joint base’s largest and most diversified squadron, comprised of 1,300 personnel from 75 Air Force specialties who deliver joint warfighter sustainment services, agile combat support, and family and community quality of life and resilience programs that directly support 45,000 personnel. He is responsible for 41 joint base programs, controls a total budget of $27M, and self-sustaining sales and revenue operations valued at $39M. He commands both the Air Force’s and Army’s food service and military personnel programs, Air Force-led joint base lodging, fitness operations, honor guard, child and youth development, recreation and club operations, warfighter and family readiness, marketing, and non-appropriated funds management. Additionally, he commands Air Force civilian human resources, manpower, mortuary affairs, deployment personnel readiness accountability, education, and training programs.
Lieutenant Colonel Hawkins earned his commission in 2003 as an AFROTC Distinguished Graduate of Texas Christian University. During assignments in Washington D.C., he attended George Washington (GW) University where he earned a master of business administration degree in 2009. He has served in a variety of leadership positions in both Services and Force Support squadrons, various levels of Air Force and Joint staffs, and other assignments including as Thunderbird #10/Executive Officer on the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron “Thunderbirds”. Prior to his current position, he attended the U.S. Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
- 2003 Bachelor of Science, Movement Science, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth
- 2003 Air and Space Basic Course, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
- 2004 Services Officer Basic Course, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2008 Top-third graduate, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2009 Master of Business Administration, GW School of Business, George Washington University, Washington D.C.
- 2013 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence
- 2016 Army Command and General Staff College, Army University, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
- June 2003 – May 2004, Resource Management Flight Officer, 31st Services Squadron, Aviano Air Base (AB), Italy
- May 2004 – September 2004, Deputy Commander, 376th Expeditionary Services Squadron, Central Air Forces/Southwest Asia
- September 2004 – March 2005, Food Service Officer, 31st Services Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
- March 2005 – April 2006, Flight Commander, Resources & Training, United States Air Force Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
- April 2006 – May 2008, Commander, Air Force Drill Team, United States Air Force Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
- May 2007 – June 2009, Air Force White House Social Aide, White House Military Office, Office of the President of the United States, Washington D.C.
- June 2008 – June 2009, Chief, Colonel Force Management & Development, Air Force Colonel Management Office, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel & Services, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- June 2009 – October 2010, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Headquarters 3d Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
- November 2010 – December 2012, Thunderbird #10/Executive Officer, US Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron “Thunderbirds”, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- December 2012 – May 2014, Operations Officer, 6th Force Support Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- May 2014 – May 2015, Deputy Director, Joint Visitors Bureau, Headquarters NATO International Security Assistance Force/Resolute Support, and Headquarters US Forces-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
- June 2015 – June 2016, Student, US Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
- June 2016 – Present, Commander, 673d Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- May 2014 – May 2015, Deputy Director, Joint Visitors Bureau, Headquarters NATO International Security Assistance Force/Resolute Support, and Headquarters US Forces-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a major
- Bronze Star Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- NATO Meritorious Service Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification, 2016
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant: May 9, 2003
- First Lieutenant: May 9, 2005
- Captain: May 28, 2007
- Major: October 1, 2013
- Lieutenant Colonel: December 1, 2016
(Current as of December 2016)